My version of chicken Parmesan is a little different than what they do in the restaurants, with less sauce and a crispier crust.
- 1 strainer
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs, or more as needed
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, or more if needed
- ½ cup olive oil for frying, or as needed
- ½ cup prepared tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup grated provolone cheese
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of heavy plastic (resealable freezer bags work well) on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound chicken with the smooth side of a meat mallet to a thickness of 1/2-inch. Season chicken thoroughly with salt and pepper.4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl and set aside.2 eggs
- Mix bread crumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese in a separate bowl, set aside.1 cup panko bread crumbs, or more as needed, ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Place flour in a sifter or strainer; sprinkle over chicken breasts, evenly coating both sides.2 tbsp all-purpose flour, or more if needed
- Dip a flour-coated chicken breast in beaten eggs. Transfer breast to the bread crumb mixture, pressing crumbs into both sides. Repeat for each breast. Let chicken rest for 10 to 15 minutes.2 eggs, 1 cup panko bread crumbs, or more as needed
- Heat 1/2 inch olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer. Cook chicken in the hot oil until golden, about 2 minutes per side. The chicken will finish cooking in the oven.½ cup olive oil for frying, or as needed
- Transfer chicken to a baking dish. Top each breast with 2 tablespoons tomato sauce. Layer each chicken breast with equal amounts of mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and provolone cheese. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan over top and drizzle each with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil.½ cup prepared tomato sauce, ¼ cup fresh mozzarella, cut into small cubes, ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, ½ cup grated provolone cheese, 2tbsp olive oil
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is browned and bubbly and chicken breasts are no longer pink in the center, 15 to 20 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Use high-quality prepared tomato sauce for a better end result. You may substitute pesto or dried Italian herbs of your choice for basil, or omit entirely.